Creation of the 1099 extension file must occur before it can be filed (either paper or e-File).
Please note the following changes for tax year 2018:
Please see Pub. 1220 (pg. 147, Section 1.01) for more information (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1220.pdf).
Form 8809 is available to print under Tools > Print Blank Forms > Federal > Miscellaneous > 8809.
A notice of this exists on the bottom of the Request for Extension of Time window (see screenshot above).
To create an upload file for an extension of time to file a 1099, complete the following steps:
- Go to e-Filings > 1099/1098 > Create Extension File.
- Enter the Control Code.
- This code is a five-character alphanumeric Transmitter Control Code (TCC) assigned by the IRS.
- A TCC must be obtained to file data with Drake Accounting.
- Submit Form 4419 to the IRS to obtain a TCC.
- See "Before You Can e-File 1099s" for more information.
- Complete the Payer Information section:
- TIN — Enter a nine-digit Taxpayer Identification Number assigned to the taxpayer. A number that is all zeros, ones, twos, etc., results in an invalid TIN.
- Name — Enter the name of the payer whose TIN has been entered. If additional room is need for the name, use the Name-Cont field.
- Recipient Request Indicator — Select this box if the extension request is to furnish statements to the recipients of the information return.
- Address — Enter the address of the payer. The street address should include number, street, apartment or suite number, or PO box if mail is not delivered to a street address.
- City — Enter the city, town, or post office of the payer.
- State — Enter the two-character state code.
Zip — Enter the nine-digit ZIP code assigned by the U.S. Postal Service. If only the first five digits are known, then use the five-digit ZIP code.
Click Create File.
To transmit Forms 1099 and 1099 extension requests:
- Go to e-Filings > 1099/1098 > Transmit File.
- Click the IRS Fire link to access the IRS FIRE website and upload Forms 1099 and 1099 extension requests.
- Click the IRS Test link to access the IRS FIRE test website.
- Use this to send a test file for a state that you have not previously uploaded to the IRS
- Once connected to the FIRE website, click Log On.
- Enter your User ID and Password (the password is case sensitive).
- Click Click here to continue.
- Click Send Information Returns.
- Enter your TCC and TIN.
- Click Submit.
- Click Accept.
- Click either Original File or Correction File
- Click Submit.
- Enter your 10-digit PIN and click Submit.
- Click Browse to locate the file and open it.
- Click Upload.
Connect With Us!
Visit our Drake Accounting website
Visit the Drake Software website